Tuesday, 4 June 2013
page 4: Contractor denies delay of NBN rollout
Yesterday Visionstream Australia rejected claims by the Communications Electrical and Plumbing Union that a failure to secure sufficient excavation permits would delay the rollout, saying the weekend suspension related to a routine audit following the death of an NBN worker.
Visionstream also defended its practices against concerns about the handling of asbestos by NBN workers at Telstra pit sites.
The Australian yesterday reported concerns by Launceston residents that asbestos appeared to have been handled unsafely during work in the suburb of Newstead at the end of April.
After an investigation by NBN and Telstra yesterday, the complainant, Bridget Arkless, said she now accepted assurances that it had been cement, not asbestos. "They've told me it was cement; I have to believe them," she said.
Communications manager Louisa Graham said Visionstream was confident there had been no risk to workers or the public. "We investigated the Newstead claims with Telstra and it was identified that there was no asbestos."
Posted by Geoff Seidner at 2:33 pm