Irving in 2003
|Born||David John Cawdell Irving|
24 March 1938
Brentwood, Essex, England
|Known for||Military history of World War II,Holocaust denial, historical revisionism|
|Spouse(s)||Pilar Irving (née Stuyck), divorced 1981|
|Parents||John James Cawdell Irving andBeryl Irene Newington|
|Relatives||An older brother, John; a twin brother, Nicholas; and a sister, Jennifer|
Carnival Times controversy
The Destruction of Dresden
1963 burglary of Irving's flat
Irving's work of the late 1970s and early 1980s
"It has received almost no attention from historians or reviewers...It is easy to see why.... full of excesses, inconsistencies and omissions... seems completely unaware of recent work done on the subject... It is not merely that the arguments in this book are so perversely tendentious and irresponsibly sensationalist. It is also that it is written in a tone which is at best casually journalistic and at worst quite exceptionally offensive. The text is littered with errors from beginning to end."
Movement towards Holocaust denial
Holocaust denial lecture circuit
Ridicule alone isn't enough, you've got to be tasteless about it. You've got to say things like 'More women died on the back seat of Edward Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than in the gas chambers at Auschwitz.' Now you think that's tasteless, what about this? I'm forming an association especially dedicated to all these liars, the ones who try and kid people that they were in these concentration camps, it's called the Auschwitz Survivors, Survivors of the Holocaust and other Liars, A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S. Can't get more tasteless than that, but you've got to be tasteless because these people deserve our contempt.
Racism and antisemitism
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
Not one of [Irving's] books, speeches or articles, not one paragraph, not one sentence in any of them, can be taken on trust as an accurate representation of its historical subject. All of them are completely worthless as history, because Irving cannot be trusted anywhere, in any of them, to give a reliable account of what he is talking or writing about. ... if we mean by historian someone who is concerned to discover the truth about the past, and to give as accurate a representation of it as possible, then Irving is not a historian.
Irving, (...) had deliberately distorted and wilfully mistranslated documents, consciously used discredited testimony and falsified historical statistics. (...) Irving has fallen so far short of the standards of scholarship customary amongst historians that he does not deserve to be called a historian at all."
Life after libel suit
David Irving controversy in 2008/2009
Reception by historians
- The Destruction of Dresden (1963) ISBN 0-7057-0030-5
- The Mare's Nest (1964)
- The Virus House (1967)
- The Destruction of Convoy PQ17 (1967)
- Accident – The Death of General Sikorski (1967) ISBN 0-7183-0420-9
- Breach of Security (1968) ISBN 0-7183-0101-3
- The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe (1973), a biography of Erhard Milch ISBN 0-316-43238-5
- Hitler's War (1977)
- The Trail of the Fox (1977), a biography of Erwin Rommel ISBN 0-525-22200-6
- The War Path (1978) ISBN 0-670-74971-0
- The War Between the Generals (1981)
- Uprising! (1981), ISBN 0-949667-91-9
- The Secret Diaries of Hitler's Doctor (1983) ISBN 0-02-558250-X
- The German Atomic Bomb: The History of Nuclear Research in Nazi Germany (1983) ISBN 0-306-80198-1
- Der Morgenthau Plan 1944–45 (in German only) (1986)
- War between the Generals (1986) ISBN 0-86553-069-6
- Hess, the Missing Years (1987) Macmillan, ISBN 0-333-45179-1
- Churchill's War (1987) ISBN 0-947117-56-3
- Destruction of Convoy PQ-17 (1968), reprint (1989) ISBN 0-312-91152-1
- Göring (1989), biography of Hermann Göring ISBN 0-688-06606-2
- Das Reich hört mit (in German only) (1989)
- Hitler's War (1991), revised edition, incorporating The War Path
- Apocalypse 1945, The Destruction of Dresden, updated and revised edition, (1995)
- Der unbekannte Dr. Goebbels (in German only) (1995)
- Goebbels – Mastermind of the Third Reich biography of Joseph Goebbels(1996) ISBN 1-872197-13-2
- Nuremberg: The Last Battle (1996) ISBN 1-872197-16-7
- Churchill's War Volume II: Triumph in Adversity (1997) ISBN 1-872197-15-9
- Rommel: The Trail of the Fox, Wordsworth Military Library; Limited edition (1999) ISBN 1-84022-205-0
- Hitler's War and the War Path (2002) ISBN 1-872197-10-8
- The Memoirs of Field-Marshal Keitel (1965)
- The Memoirs of General Gehlen (1972)
- The Night the Dams Burst (1973)
- Von Guernica bis Vietnam (in German only) (1982)
- Die deutsche Ostgrenze (in German only) (1990)
- Banged Up (2008)
Collected articles in German
- Und Deutschlands Städte starben nicht (1963)
- Nürnberg: Die letzte Schlacht (1979)
- Wie krank war Hitler wirklich? (1980)
- Hare, Ivan; Weinstein, James (2010). Extreme Speech and Democracy. Oxford University Press. p. 553.ISBN 0199601798.
- Shermer & Grobman 2002, p. 49.
- "Conclusion on meaning 2.15 (vi): that Irving is discredited as an historian." David Irving v. Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt/II.
- "Deborah Lipstadt is Dorot Professor of Modern Jewish and Holocaust Studies and director of The Rabbi Donald A. Tam Institute for Jewish Studies at Emory University. She is the author of two books about the Holocaust. Her book Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory led to the 2000 court case in which she defeated and discredited Holocaust denier David Irving." "Task of Justice & Danger of Holocaust Deniers". Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State – Understanding Auschwitz Today. PBS.
- "If the case for competence applies to those who lack specialist knowledge, it applies even further to those who have been discredited as incompetent. For example, why ought we include David Irving in a debate aiming to establish the truth about the Holocaust, after a court has found that he manipulates and misinterprets history?" Long, Graham (2004). Relativism and the Foundations of Liberalism. Imprint Academic. p. 80.ISBN 1-84540-004-6.
- Wyden 2001, p. 164. "[Irving] claimed that Lipstadt's book accuses him of falsifying historical facts in order to support his theory that the Holocaust never happened. This of course discredited his reputation as a historian. [...] On 11 April, High Court judge Charles Gray ruled against Irving, concluding that he indeed qualified as a Holocaust denier and anti-Semite and that as such he has distorted history in order to defend his hero, Adolf Hitler."
- "In Britain, which does not have a Holocaust denial law, Irving had already been thoroughly discredited when he unsuccessfully sued historian Deborah Lipstadt in 1998 for describing him as a Holocaust denier." Callamard, Agnès (April 2007), "Debate: can we say what we want?",Le Monde diplomatique
- "The ruling against David Irving". The Guardian(London). 11 April 2000. Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- "Hitler historian loses libel case". BBC News. 11 April 2000. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 41.
- Hari, Johann (15 January 2009). "David Irving: 'Hitler appointed me biographer'". The Independent (London).
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 40.
- Rosenbaum 1999, p. 227.
- Craig, Olga (26 February 2006). "interview". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Shermer & Grobman 2009, p. 281.
- "David Irving: Information for Counsel on my Background". Fpp.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Profile on the ADL website.
- Mosley packs them in.Pi magazine, 22 February 1961.
- The Independent, 11 July 1992
- Wyden 2001, p. 159.
- Lay, Kat (26 May 2009). "50 years on: David Irving, Apartheid and ULU". London Student. Retrieved 21 August 2010.
- "International Pressure Groups". Drs.library.yale.edu:8083. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Guttenplan 2001, pp. 225–226.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 43.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 225.
- Seeking to establish a definitive casualty figure, an independent investigation (commissioned by the Dresden city council), ended in 2010 drawing a conclusion that a maximum of 25,000 people were killed, of which 22,700 deaths have been positively identified—20,100 named and a further 2,600 unnamed (Associated Press staff (10 January 2008), Report: Dresden bombing deaths overestimated, msnbc.msn.com; (German) "Mindestzahl der Dresdner Bombenopfer nach oben korrigiert (lowest number of Dresden raids casualties corrected upwards",Sächsische Zeitung, 15 April 2010 (subscription required)).
- Evans 2001, pp. 148–184
- Weidauer, Walter (1965), Inferno Dresden. Über Lügen und Legenden um die Aktion "Donnerschlag.", Dietz Verlag, pp. 6,132, ISBN 3-320-00818-8
- Von Benda-Beckmann, Bas (2010), A German Catastrophe?: German Historians and the Allied Bombings, 1945–2010, UvA Proefschriften Seris, Amsterdam University Press, p. 150, ISBN 9056296531
- ""Searchlight" & the State". Kate Sharpley Library.
- Neufeld, Michael J (2009). "Creating a Memory of the German Rocket Program for the Cold War". In Dick, Steven J. Remembering the Space Age. Government Printing Office. ISBN 9780160867118.
- Pearce Wright's review in The Times, 23 February 1967. "...Irving interviewed German scientists and officers of the wartime Allied Intelligence mission. He says there has been no history of the German atomic research effort until now..."
- Rosenbaum 1999, p. 232.
- Rosenbaum 1999, pp. 227–229.
- Lipstadt 2005, p. 293.
- Lipstadt 2005, pp. 293–294.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 232.
- e.g. The Guardian
- Philippe Naughton and agencies in Vienna. "Irving jailed for three years, despite Holocaust U-turn", The Times, 20 February 2006.
- John Keegan, Defence Editor, "The trial of David Irving—and my part in his downfall." Daily Telegraph (UK). 12 April 2000
- Cameron Watt, Donald (11 April 2000). "History needs David Irvings". The Evening Standard.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 128.
- Craig 1982, p. 72.
- Evans 1989, p. 166.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 46.
- Sydnor 1979, p. 179
- Sydnor 1979, pp. 182–183
- Sydnor 1979, p. 176
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 52.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 51.
- "David Irving: Britain's Holocaust "revisionist"". Nizkor.org. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 47.
- The Observer, 29 March 1981
- Evans 2001, p. 19.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 48.
- Harris 1986, pp. 320–323.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 22.
- Lipstadt 2005, p. 19.
- Harris 1986, pp. 338–339.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 56.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 21.
- Dawidowicz, Lucy "Lies About the Holocaust" pages 31–37 from Commentary, Volume 70, Issue # 6, p. 35
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 161.
- Evans 1989, p. 167.
- Van Pelt 2002, pp. 22–23.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 23.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 162.
- Lipstadt 1993, pp. 161–162.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 40.
- Stern 1992, p. 32
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 8.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 41.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 42.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 179.
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 54.
- "The 'False News' Trial of Ernst Zündel – 1988: David Irving". Ihr.org. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 44.
- Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr..
- Van Pelt 2002, pp. 47–48.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 260.
- Lipstadt 1993, pp. 179–180.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 180.
- Brinks, Jan Hermann Children of a New Fatherland, London: I.B. Tauris, 2000 p. 107.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 48.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 55.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 16.
- Shermer & Grobman 2002, p. 50.
- Lipstadt 1993, p. 221.
- Rosenbaum 1999, p. 233.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 57.
- Stern 1992, p. 33
- Rosenbaum 1999, p. 222.
- Stern 1992, p. 48
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 56.
- Shermer & Grobman 2002, pp. 49–50.
- Shermer & Grobman 2002, p. 51.
- Shermer & Grobman 2002, p. 56.
- Rosenbaum 1999, p. 234.
- David Irving vs Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt
- "Judge: Why Irving had to lose", BBC News, 11 April 2000.
- Hitchens, Christopher. "The Strange Case of David Irving", Los Angeles Times, 20 May 2001. Reprinted in Hitchens, Christopher. Love, Poverty and War: Journeys and Essays, Nation Books, 2004, p. 261. ISBN 978-1-56025-580-2
- Traynor, Ian (21 February 2006). "Irving jailed for denying Holocaust | World news | The Guardian". London: The Guardian<!. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Duff, Oliver. " David Irving: An anti-Semitic racist who has suffered financial ruin", The Independent, 21 February 2006.
- The World Today. "Holocaust denier to try another visit to Australia".
- Guttenplan 2001, p. 55.
- "His website". Fpp.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Nick Felding. "Hunt for Irving's backers as lawyers seek #2m costs". Sunday Times, 16 April 2000
- Guttenplan 2001, pp. 56–57.
- Van Pelt 2002, p. 63.
- Evans, Richard J.. "Chapter 6. General Conclusion".Holocaust Denial On Trial: Expert Witness Report. Archived from the original on 11 August 2006. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Walker, Andrew (20 February 2006). "UK | Profile: David Irving". BBC News. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Irving defiant over libel defeat". BBC News. 12 April 2000. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- Dodd, Vikram; D.D . Guttenplan (5 March 2002)."Holocaust denier made bankrupt". The Guardian(London). Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- Vikram Dodd (22 May 2002). "Failed libel action costs Irving his home | UK news". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "His own website". Fpp.co.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Holocaust denier Irving is jailed". BBC News (BBC). 20 February 2006. Retrieved 16 June 2009.
- Kate Connolly. "Irving clutches Hitler book in court". The Telegraph. 21 February 2006
- "Convicted Holocaust Denier Irving Expelled from Austria | Europe | Deutsche Welle | 22.12.2006". Dw-world.de. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Holocaust denier: 'No need to show remorse' at theWayback Machine (archived 16 January 2007)
- Pidd, Heidi (26 October 2009). "German court fines British bishop for Holocaust claims". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- Hall, Allan (10 November 2009). "British bishop Richard Williamson to go on trial in Germany for Holocaust denial". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "British bishop convicted of Holocaust denial: German court fines cleric $13,000 for saying Jews were not gassed to death". Associated Press. 16 April 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- Solomont, E. B. (13 November 2009). "Survivors in New York enraged by Holocaust-denier Irving's tour".Jerusalem Post. p. 2. Retrieved 22 December 2009.
- Rab, Lisa (29 October 2009). "Ritz Knife Fight Reveals "War" Between White Supremacists, Watchdog Says – Broward/Palm Beach News – The Daily Pulp". Blogs.browardpalmbeach.com. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Sleepy Manalapan shaken-not-stirred by white supremacist knife fight at Ritz Carlton". Palmbeachpost.com. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "BBC News – Holocaust denier Irving in Poland for Hitler tour". BBC. 21 September 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Rakvaag, Geir (October 7, 2008). "Irving fortsatt invitert".Dagsavisen (in Norwegian) (Oslo). Retrieved October 8, 2008.
- Wold Haagensen, Vibecke (October 7, 2008). "Irving invitert som løgner". NRK (in Norwegian) (Hedmark/Oppland). Retrieved October 8, 2008.
- "Holocaust denier unwelcome in Norway". UPI. October 9, 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008.
- "Holocaust denial speaker's invitation cancelled".Aftenposten (Oslo, Norway). October 9, 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008.
- Østrem, Olav (October 9, 2008). "Sæterbakken slår tilbake". Klassekampen (in Norwegian) (Oslo, Norway). Retrieved October 10, 2008.
- Olsen, Geir (October 10, 2008). "Retrett mot Davig Irving. Irving: – De tør ikke møte meg". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian) (Oslo, Norway). Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Omdal, Sven Egil (October 11, 2008). "Ikke fullt så Fritt Ord". Stavanger Aftenblad (in Norwegian) (Stavanger, Norway). Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Christiansen, Ann (October 9, 2008). "Irving: – Utsatt for global kampanje". Aftenposten (in Norwegian) (Oslo, Norway). Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Wiese, Andreas (October 15, 2008). "David Irving rir igjen". Dagbladet (in Norwegian) (Oslo, Norway). Retrieved October 15, 2008.
- Kershaw 1985, p. 150.
- Kershaw 1985, p. 268.
- Craig, Gordon A. (1982). The Germans. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons. ISBN 0-399-12436-5.
- Evans, Richard J. (1989). In Hitler's Shadow. New York: Pantheon Books. ISBN 0-394-57686-1.
- Evans, Richard J. (2001). Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust, and the David Irving Trial. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 0-465-02152-2.
- Guttenplan, D. D. (2001). The Holocaust on Trial. New York: W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 0-393-02044-4.
- Harris, Robert (1986). Selling Hitler: The Story of the Hitler Diaries. London: Faber and Faber. ISBN 0-571-14726-7.
- Jäckel, E. (1993). David Irving's Hitler: A Faulty History Dissected, Two Essays. translation and comments by H. David Kirk. Port Angeles, WA: Ben-Simon Publications. ISBN 0-914539-08-6.
- Kershaw, Ian (1985). The Nazi Dictatorship: Problems and Perspectives of Interpretation. London: Edward Arnold. ISBN 0-7131-6408-5.
- Lipstadt, Deborah (1993). Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory. New York: Free Press. ISBN 0-02-919235-8.
- Lipstadt, Deborah (2005). History on Trial: My Day in Court with David Irving. New York: Ecco Press. ISBN 0-06-059376-8.
- Lukacs, John (1997). The Hitler of History. New York: Knopf.ISBN 0-679-44649-4.
- Van Pelt, Robert J. (2002). The Case for Auschwitz: Evidence from the Irving Trial. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.ISBN 0-253-34016-0.
- Rosenbaum, Ron (1999). Explaining Hitler (1st Harper Perennial ed.). New York: Harper Perennial. ISBN 0-679-43151-9.
- Shermer, Michael; Grobman, Alex (2002). Denying History. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-21612-1.
- Shermer, Michael; Grobman, Alex (2009). Denying History. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. ISBN 0-520-26098-8.
- Stern, Kenneth (1992). Holocaust Denial. New York: American Jewish Committee.
- Sydnor, Jr, Charles W. (June 1979). "The Selling of Adolf Hitler: David Irving's Hitler's War". central European History 12 (2). pp. 169–99.
- Wyden, Peter (2001). The Hitler Virus: the Insidious Legacy of Adolf Hitler. New York: Arcade Publishing. ISBN 1-55970-532-9.
- "Two Alibies for the Inhumanities: A. R. Butz, "The Hoax of the Twentieth Century" and David Irving, "Hitler's War"" by Bradley Smith pages 327–335 from German Studies Review, Volume 1, Issue # 3. October 1978.
- "Caveat Lector Review of Hitler's War" by John Lukacs pages 946–950 from National Review, Volume XXIX, Issue # 32, 19 August 1977.
- "Hitler and the Genesis of the 'Final Solution': An Assessment of David Irving's Theses" pages 73–125 from Yad Vashem Studies by Martin Broszat, Volume 13, 1979; reprinted pages 390–429 in Aspects of the Third Reich edited by H.W. Koch, London: Macmillan, 1985, ISBN 0-333-35272-6; originally published as "Hitler und die Genesis der "Endlösung". Aus Anlaß der Thesen von David Irving", pages 739–775 fromVierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichte, Volume 25, 1977.
- "David Irving and the 1956 Revolution" by András Mink pages 117–128 from Hungarian Quarterly, Volume 41, Issue No. 160, 2000.
- Felix Müller. Das Verbotsgesetz im Spannungsverhältnis zur Meinungsfreiheit. Eine verfassungsrechtliche Untersuchung; Verlag Österreich, 2005, 238 Seiten, br., ISBN 3-7046-4685-7
- Schiedel, Heribert. Irving sitzt in Österreich in Jungle World, 23 November 2005. ISSN 1613-0766
- Wikisource:David Irving vs Penguin Books and Deborah Lipstadt
- Craig, Gordon A. (19 September 1996), "The Devil in the Details", The New York Review of Books: 8–14
- Wright, Pearce (23 February 1967). "Nazis' mighty atom". The Times. p. 8.
- News articles
- Ascherson, Neal (29 March 1981). "A bucketful of slime". The Observer.
- Hitchens, Christopher (June 1996). "Hitler's Ghost". Vanity Fair. pp. 72–74.
- Taylor, Matthew (29 September 2007). "Discredited Irving plans comeback tour". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- Traynor, Ian (21 February 2006). "Irving jailed for denying Holocaust". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 27 March 2010.
- Waterhouse, Rosie (11 July 1992). "From Brentwood to Berchtesgaden: The disturbing story of the 'revisionist' David Irving". The Independent on Sunday (London). Retrieved 24 May 2009.
|Find more about David Irving at Wikipedia'ssister projects|
|Definitions and translations from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
- Official website
- David Irving Archive at Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust (archived from the original)
- Collection of Irving materials from nizkor.org
- Collection of Irving materials from holocaust-history.org
- Guilty of Falsifying History Ann Tusa review of Irving's Nuremberg: The last Battle"
- Irving, Hitler and the Murder of the Jews
- David Irving The Libel Trial Re-examined by Robert Fulford
- Holocaust Denial in England
- David Irving and Holocaust Denial by Robert Fulford
- "Springtime for Hitler—and the History Channel" – about the History Channel hiring Irving as historian for a documentary about World War II, byMark Greif in The American Prospect, (6 November 1999)
- "Pity for this Man is Out of Place" by Hans-Ulrich Wehler